Tuesday, October 4, 2011

This Week's Reader Interview with Rebecca Welch

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
It is hard for me to say a little bit about anything, much less myself, but I'm going to give it shot. I am a single mother of an amazing teenager. I am a legal assistant with a major fascination with the law, government and all the shenanigans that entails. 

When and how did you discover that you love reading fiction?
I didn't learn how to read until I was almost 6 years old. But when I finally learned, I couldn't stop reading everything in sight. I reached a college reading level by the time I was eight years old, it was strictly from wanting to just read and read. I love reading everything I can get my hands on and fiction has a special place in my heart because it allows me to use my imagination and be transported to lands that "could" exist. 

What are some of your favorite books and who are some of your favorite authors?
I have a number of favorite books and authors. I am a huge fan Janet Evanovich and basically all of her books are on my favorites list. Pete Hamill's Forever is also a book I think that everyone should read. It is a fascinating telling of the history of New York City from a first person perspective. 

What is your favorite thing about reading fiction?
My favorite thing about reading fiction is the ability for my personal imagination to play a role and almost be an extra character. While it is important for an author to include proper description of characters and places, a reader is able to add their personal thoughts, memories and visions to a story. Reading fiction is always a pleasure that you make it. Even a story that you may not think you will enjoy can be a true journey through your own imagination. 

Do you have any “pet peeves” about authors, something they do that really annoys you?
I don't really have any pet peeves as far as authors go. I am truly amazed that any individual would even attempt to put into print words that will last forever, words that came from their own mind. It is an amazing thing to be an author and to work to have your words read by the masses or even by a few chosen individuals that you trust. 

Do you write fiction yourself?
I do write fiction on occasion but I have found that my fiction tends to be more fantasy, based on my personal reality. I definitely tend to write what I know and this can make for difficult completion of anything I start. I tend to revise too often to complete but maybe someday I  can have some finished work to share with others. 

What do you think about ebooks vs. paper books?
When it comes to the e-book versus the paper book, I am very torn. I love the new technology and what it has allowed a reader to do. It is wonderful to be able to carry a book with you in a compact manner and have it available for reading anytime...waiting in line, or sitting at a doctor's office. But I have to admit that I still love the smell of a book and the feel of a well worn book spine in my hands. I think that there is a place for both in the world and hopefully I won't be looking back one day wondering where all the books went! 

What is your favorite Mike Wells book and why?
I am sad to say I have only read book one of Lust, Money and Murder. But I truly loved every second of it. I have recently become the proud owner of an iPhone and intent to continue reading Mike's writing. I think the pictures he paints, and the ability to make every character even the antagonist in a story likable is something that is truly amazing. I am looking forward to more and sharing updates on how I have loved the other books he has written, as I can already tell that I will. 

Thank you, Rebecca!
My pleasure!

Rebecca Welch can be found on Twitter at @rebwel

No comments:

Post a Comment